måndag 2 november 2015

Shri K Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute

Monday, 2nd of November
Had my first practice this morning in the main Shala with Sharath. It was an interesting morning like I never experienced before.

When i went to register last Friday, Sharath gave me a card with my name on it and also the start time for my batch. I get to start at 6 am everyday except from Mondays and Saturdays coz we have led classes on those days. Mondays led class I have 4.30 am start and Saturdays 6 am. I am very happy with my timings, its not to late and not to early.


A girl I live with also had 4.30 am led class on Mondays so we said we go there together this morning. She told me we should be there really early so we won't have to practice next to the toilets. I was happy with company and I wouldn't  want to practice next to the toilets either, so I was keen to go with her even thou we might have to wait outside the Shala gates for a while. Unfortunate this morning it was raining. We came there at 3 am, waiting patiently outside the gates and it started to fill up with loads of people. Everyone had their umbrellas and were prepared with plastic bags to sit on. Not me. We were early so I knew we wouldn't get the worst spots in the Shala but it was a hectic feeling anyway where people were so ambitious to get good spots. Oh forgot to explain about the "Shala Time"  The time we get on our cards is not the exact time, coz the Shala time is 15-20 min before. So todays class at 4.30 am is actually about 4,10 am. We arrived at 3 by the gate, so about a hour before class would start.

After sitting by the gate for an hour finally they open and we got in. I got a good spot, happy. It started fill up fast. It came way to many people to fit in the Shala. It felt like chaos. Then Sharath raised his voice and announced that everyone who got their led class at 6 am on Saturdays should come back to next batch. My god, I had to roll up my mat again and left the room. I was so exited to just be in at last and to soon start the practice, my first time in the Shala and after that long time waiting outside the gate. Well,  I left the Shala room. Outside there was about 50 people who had been told to leave. We all just sat down outside on the stairs and heard Sharath count for the other students inside.

Regular students who comes often they know that the first week is always primary series, thats why only this week the led Monday class would be same timing as Saturdays led class. Usually it would be led second serie on Mondays after the 4.30 class but not this week. A bit confusing for a first time student there, like me.

But in the end I got in and I did my first practice "In the main shala" with Sharath and it was a really cool feeling. Got a good spot as well, yay! Sharath was in a good mood and made many jokes thru out the practice. Before we started Sharath was on a mission to catch this cockroach that was running around pretty close to my mat. When he finally caught it, he asked if anyone wanted breakfast and offered it to some of  the close by students.

We had to practice tight, the mats were mat to mat, no space in-between. Fingers and hands often touched the person next to you in down facing dog and we had to go up and down on the mats in many poses, to not be in the way for each others. I got kneed in my boob once from the guy next to me, when he was doing Maricasana A. He was a tall guy with long legs so I felt more bad for him as he had problems coz he needed much more space to do stuff.

I been spoiled before with loads of space and a teacher that can spot me if I do something wrong like breath to fast or skip a breath or cheat and take extra breath. This is all very new to me in the main Shala. Takes time to get into it. It will be good for me though. The energy is so strong, its so many ambitious people there and they got this drive. I like that in a way, but it can also be a bit intimidating, so this will teach me a lot how to handle and look at things, and see how I cope with it. I am exited for this week, can't wait for the Mysore classes. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar